The Texas Gulf Sulphur Company built the town in 1928 - before most of Wharton county had paved roads. Named by contest (open to employees only), Newgulf was comprised of 400 one, two, and three bedroom houses that were leased to employees.

The town even had its own downtown - a single four-lane road with essential businesses on either side, including a movie theater. The town had its own post office and the company provided a hospital, library, school, and golf course. The population of Newgulf was 1,586 in 1940 - the highest it would ever be. The semi-isolated community was a world unto itself - and residents developed into a very close-knit community - seldom venturing out - even to still-developing Boling - just 3 miles away.

The year Newgulf "opened" an independent school district was formed with three schools. Iago, Texas and Newgulf each had elementary schools, and Boling hosted the region's high school. After WWII Newgulf began to decline as the demand for sulphur deceased. Texas Gulf Sulphur built new plants and local employees were laid off.

Company houses were first sold to "civilian" buyers in the early 60s. More efficient mining practices led to further layoffs and for the 1980 census there were just under 1,000 residents. Only 100 houses remained by 1990 and residents did more of their shopping in Wharton. The clubhouse and golf course continued in operation but in 1993 the post office closed and the Newgulf school merged with the Boling school. The mine site continued to maintain a skeleton crew through the 1990s but today Newgulf and its landmark twin smokestacks are included in the long list of Texas ghost towns.

Courtesy of TexasEscapes.com

Copyright © 2007, New Gulf Golf Club. All Rights Reserved.
Powered by Pitch Blak Technologies